Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hummingbird and Midnight Farm Beaded Cross Stitch

After trying some of the smaller ornaments from Mill Hill designs, I really enjoyed adding beads to my stitching and the look of the finished project. Next, I wanted to try my hand at their larger kits from the Buttons & Beads collection (5"x5")! If you aren't familiar with them, they are stitched on perforated paper and come with everything you need to complete the project. It's great way for a beginners to try their hand at cross stitching with beads.
The first one I stitched is called Hummingibird...
 First you complete all the stitching....
 Then you add the sparkly beads....
 As you can see in the picture above, the pattern sorta fades the stitches off in a scattered way and left an outline of un-stitched bits around the bird. I really didn't like the look so I bought more thread and filled it all in as you can see here....
 Ahhh, that's better!
 And it wouldn't be complete without a cute button embellishment!
I'm not a huge fan of stitching on perforated paper and I may try one of these designs on fabric at some point just to compare. Mill Hill also makes cute little frames just right for this collection. I just have to decide what color to get, hmmmmmmm.
~ ~ ~
I received two of these kits as gifts, one from each son last Christmas (2012) so I stitched them both up in 2013. This next one is a Halloween kit called Midnight Farm...




 And it came with a cute ghost button!
 Parts of it were stitched with glow-in-the-dark thread that I had a difficult time photographing...

No comments: