Saturday, January 17, 2015

Holiday Cheer Cross-Stitch


  I was all set to dig out Santa's Feathered Friend form last year and finish it up this Christmas. That was the plan UNTIL I saw this Design by Ursula Michael while flipping through old issues of Cross Stitch & Needlework magazine (Jan 2012 issue). I loved how bright and cheerful it looked and I thought it would be a great pattern to stitch on some sparkly fabric.

So.... I started stitching it on Dec 7, 2014 on 28ct Opal Lugana by Zwiegart.

I have to say that I think Ursula Michael makes the most adorable snowmen!!! I think I'm hooked!

As I was stitching I thought this would be a good project to add more bling to, in addition to the Opal fabric. Holiday projects should have lots of bling, don't ya think? I'm talking gold thread and Mill Hill beads!

I have left over beads in my stash from the various Mill Hill kits I've done, but I needed some great sparkly gold thread. I ordered some gold Petite Treasure Braid by Rainbow Gallery. I've heard lots of good things about it and some say it stitches easier than Kreinik.

While waiting for the gold thread, I continued to stitch away through the holiday season loving every minute of this bright and cheery pattern!

  Ok, metallic thread arrived early Jan and I couldn't wait to try it out. I experimented using two strands and found it a bit too thick. Then I tried a blend of one strand floss/one strand metallic and the sparkle was too subtle. I ended up with one strand metallic and I really like it!


 I've added a bit of the gold metallic to the bells as well. You can see where I've left open stitches for beads to add at the end!


 Finally, here is my progress as of Jan 13, 2015. My plan is to continue working on this until it's finished......hopefully by the end of Jan!

2 comments:

Virpi said...

Looks lovely! I haven't tried that metallic thread before. Maybe I try to find some and try it in the future. =D

Alyssa F said...

I'm so glad to see someone working on this pattern! I've been coveting it for awhile....