Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Goodbye Kayla



This post is one that I write with a heavy heart. Kayla put up a good fight but her cancer finally got the best of her and we said our final goodbye to her this morning (June 21, 2011). After 4 great days in a row, she went downhill Sat morning (June 18) and really never recovered for more than brief moments here and there where she would attempt to get up and walk into another room. She rested comfortably the rest of the time watching the comings and goings around her. She ate a little bit of food Sunday morning but refused any offered her after that (even New York strip!). It is never an easy decision to euthanize a beloved pet, and we struggled with it up until the very last moment. With confirmation from Dr C. that it was indeed the right time, we decided to go ahead with it. Her quality of life was depleting rapidly before our eyes.
We feel so blessed to have had her gentle soul grace our lives for 13 1/2 years. We love you and will miss you sweet Kayla girl!!!
The two photos above were the last ones I took of her on one of her good days...9 days before her passing. This is how I want to remember her, in the yard stalking flying bugs to catch and doing a pretty good job at it!

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Kayla's passing. I know she was an important part of your family and will be truly missed.

Carol said...

Oh Chris, I am in tears reading this, I am so incredibly sorry that this time has come. Just know that she will be at rainbow bridge, not as she ended her life, but full of vitality waiting for you and watching over your boys. My sincerest condolences to all of you, this was not the blog post I wanted to read and I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. Much care to you all.

Calico said...

Thank you both for your kind words. I know she is happy and free of pain now and my pain will heal with time :(

*Christie* said...

Love you girl and soooo sorry you had to say goodbye to your sweet Kayla.